maandag 9 juni 2014

Hi again,

I've read a few books in the pas two months, but I couldn't find the time to write about them. So I will speake about the books one by one, and in this post it is going to be ... The mythologie Guide.

Just al little note for everyone who reads my book blog execpt my teacher (not that there are so many) : I will try to continue to write about the books I've read. The summer vacation is not very far away and I will try to read as much as possible in any language I can read.

Well back to The mythology Guide. Since I was little I've loved mythology of all kinds of cultures and religions. At first it was just the Romans, later the Greeks and now all of them. I was at the libary and I saw this little book, and it looked very compact.

I loved to read this little book. It gave a good overview over all the different cultures. Of course there are the most famous cultures in that book like of course the Romans, Greeks and Egypians but also less known mythologie like those of the Japanse, Aztecs and even some African tribes. The book has two parts, the mythologie of different parts in the world and themes in the mythologie, and each part is divided into several chapters. The parts of the world are of course obvious, but the themes not so much. Different themes are love stories, death and the underworld and monsters.

From the different parts of the world I liked Asia the best because it was totally new for me, the pictures look very nice and I liked the names of the gods. Although I must say,that the buddism is very complicated and when you want to get how it works you have to get a very expanded  encyclopedia. About the classic area I knew almost everything already so that part wasn't so revaeling for me. Mesopotamia was amazing because that culture is from thousends of years ago and they had very good stories. The only part in didn't like so much, was tribal Africa. I don't know why I don't like that part, I guess that I just don't like those cultures very much.

Of the themes I liked the love theme the most (I'm girl, you know) and espcially the Celtic story about Etain and Midir. Midir was the son of  the upper god and he fell in love with the beautiful Etain. Midirs wife was jealous and Etain became born as a human and rememberd nothing of her marriage with Midir. The king of Ireland was seeking for a wife and decided to merry Etain, but the kings brother fell in love with her. Midir came to get her, and took het to the world of the gods, but the king wanted his bride back. So the king and Midir came to an understanding: Etain would live her mortal live out with the king and after that she would live with Midir.

All the other themes were very good as well, but I liked the love stories the best.
This book is a very nice book, but it is meant to give you an insight in all different kinds of mythologie, so if you want to learn more about the mythologie of a specific culture, you have to find a book for that.

The next book will be the debil wears prada.

Ike








Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten